vendredi 31 août 2012

Racism, Made in Quebec


Racism, Made in Quebec

By: Mohamed Lotfi, Journalist & Producer of the radio program Souverains Anonymes

Is it possible to ask a question about racism in Quebec without setting off an earthquake, without being called paranoid, and especially, without revealing yourself to be racist? The discomfort the subject causes doesn’t encourage anyone to say much about it. Personally, I don’t agree with those immigrants who see racism everywhere. I reject the use of racism as a pretext to justify an unwillingness to integrate. Racist behaviour is produced, not from ignorance, but worse, from a lack of curiosity about others

I am a Muslim. I don’t practise Ramadan. A native Quebecer once said to me, no doubt thinking I would be pleased, “But you—you’re a more civilized Muslim.” That happened towards the end of Ramadan, during the daytime, in one of Montreal’s Arab restaurants. After inviting the man to join me at my table, I gave him a Ramadan 101 course, explaining that it is precisely during Ramadan that the world’s billion-and-a-half Muslims are most civilized. Ramadan is the month of pardon, courtesy, and sharing. In Muslim countries, it’s the month when crime rates are at their lowest. Knowing that I would soon be on a television talk show (Il va y avoir du sport) to talk about racism, I asked my new friend quite simply if he believed racism existed in Quebec. He stood up abruptly and disappeared from my view without a word!

What we have in Quebec is a “made in Quebec” form of racism. It’s a racism without racists! A racism that is so insidious and unobtrusive, it dare not speak its name. There’s no place for a Jean-Marie Le Pen in Quebec. Reassuring, isn’t it? But does a faceless racism hurt less or have fewer victims? I’m not so sure. While the legal institutions, charters of rights, and companies protect individuals from racism and discourage its institutionalization, racism nonetheless mutates into certain behaviours, some of which require quite a talent. The art of being racist without ever looking like it! Appearances are kept up, social peace is maintained and everyone agrees on Quebec’s reputation as warm and welcoming. So if I want to keep the peace, I shouldn’t mention the subject. But at least once in a while, let’s talk about it anyways. In any case, appearances are not what they seem and social peace can’t live long on lies .

Suite

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire