lundi 23 novembre 2015

Using EDM as a racist deterent. {rant]


Joshua Carl 5:13 AM - 19 August, 2013
Ill preface this by saying Im an open format DJ, always have been.
one could easily attribute it to my ADD or playing from my gut (mood)

but something Ive noticed (and lets be real here, its NOTHING new) but now that this stuff
they are trying to pass off as Dance Music ( I Dare not tarnish the name of house by calling it such)... so for that sake of this post I'll refer to this current incarnation of uptempo electronic pop music like most... as "EDM"
which in itself presents its on rant, you know we LOVE EDM.... but you play some proper dance music and u get the stink puss...
which is no different than any other crossover music....

back to the point.
More and more I have Bars, not clubs, places that have no business trying to compete with proper dance room asking for ZERO hiphop...
and some arent even sugar coating it with a politcally correct cover up statement.

now, i suppose i could ball up my fist and go "go fuck your racist ass" and walk.
but being who I am, I try to convince them otherwise....
its a battle now, it was 10 years ago.... and obviously alot longer back than Ive been around.
But I try to explain that just switching the format 100% without doing any of the supporting measures for dance music is a bitch move.
IE trying to rip 4 hours of 128 bpm through 8" bar speakers with zero lights, and tiny subs that a pig getting violated everytime a chunky bassline romps through it.

I know Im not alone, and being white I think im expected to just side with them and be excited that in BARS im trying to sell 4 hours of music 25% of the crowd wants to hear.
you know, the whole night people are asking for even the most topical top 40 HipPop
and when you cant they lose their shit (Especially ladies)

alot of these places Im still at, years later even for some and the race card sort of disapears, and reappears occasional when the owner gets Barny Phife and wants the place to be whiter.

This past week I had a solid 50/50 crowd.
its colligiate, not music saavy, but they want me to spin NOTHING but EDM.
Im there because my predecessors yielded to the crowd too easy and too often.
At about 1230 Dropped down and played a Miley Redrum, That Selena Gomez Jump Smokers Remix and a few trappy remixes of Zedd, alesso & such...
the manager comes up... Josh... lets get away from the hiphop
(I saw it coming)
so I pulled up my library.
"which song? So I can flag it, so I dont play it again.... Becuase I havent touched my hiphop folder"
after peering at my history... well, you know this slow hiphop stuff.
"you know I cant be at a colligiate bar and NOT play the new Miley & Selena"
--Oh? well.... well get out of the stuff with the bass

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire